Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Earth, Fire, Wind, Water...Heart?

My first Japanese class was such a collossal joke I can't even adequately explain. Okay, okay, the class itself wasn't a joke...but my Japanese skills are...subpar to say the least. First of all--I don't think the Japanese teacher was informed that she was teaching Japanese 1, because she seemed really concerned that none of us could speak a freakin' word of Japanese. There are only five of us in the class...which is nice because I'm a lot more comfortable making an ass out of myself in front of a small group of people rather than a large group. Call me crazy but a large group of people seems a lot more capable of forming militant groups that are sent to destroy all those who are incapable of understanding why on earth the Japanese don't pronounce the letter "r" and yet still have it in their alphebet. I hate the Japanese alphebet...they all look the same. Either Japanese people must be really smart or really OCD...because I'm never going to be able to do this. The university here is really nice--pretty. Supposedly on a clear day you can see Mt. Fugi...unfortunately the smog has been rather pea-soup-esque and I can't see past the nearest building--mmm...perks of living in a city of 20 million. Speaking of which...apparently, from what I was told, Japan was the "cleanest" nation...but I would have to argue against that point. First and foremost...they pee in a hole. While most prefer an actual toliet--the fact that a hole in ground actually still exists in the civilized western world is kind of weird. The first time I used one I felt like Tommy Boy, "Goddamnit Richard...now I have piss all over myself." Second, there actually is a lot of liter, especially in the river...which leads directly into the ocean...which...on a related note I ate sea urchin genitalia the other night--which I'm sure was not that clean...given the pollution here. Random caviot--while it was an interesting experience, I don't necessarily recommend it...rather slimy-and fishy.

So Abby and were talking tonight and I have concluded ONCE again that I cannot escape Capt. Planet. No matter how far I travel or how far I go...I can never escape the wonderous abilities of Capt. Planet. We were talking about how each person in the house embodied a certain super-hero and I clearly am Capt. Planet. Abby is the Green Lantern...but neither of us actually knew what the Green Lantern did...so I'm not sure what that means for my super-hero/roommate association. Blast the luck.

I miss Mexican food...and carpet...and fly paper...and desks that I can fit it in...and well just everything. I love Japan--but I've come to realize that my country is an amazing place. Fly-paper aside, I have come to realize that for all it's faults...America is truly an inspiring place. I will write more on the subject later...when I'm not as tired or as sick (yeah I'm sick--ewe) but for now...sayoonara from the orient. I miss you all so much.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Stevi said...

Just to let you know, half of the public toilets in Italy are also holes. Especially the ones in train stations. You're not alone. I think its a Eurasia in general kind of situation. When you get home, I expect you to teach us all the squat and aim method. I sure as shit haven't mastered it!

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Heather! Green Lantern could make objects out of energy with his alien power ring, which required recharging every day. His ring couldn't affect wood or the color yellow. Oddly enough, I don't really know what Captain Planet does, other than taking polution down to 0. In any event, Japanese is ridiculously confusing, and I'm sure you already know more than I ever did (you can count above 6, for one thing.) The Land of the Rising Sun seems full of adventure, and I enjoy reading about yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home