First Impressions
Okay...so here's what has suprised me most about Japan--
1) Apart from their obvious obsession with America, the next most popular country is actually Italy. They love it. They love the food, the clothes, the language. I couldn't talk to anyone today except the four students who had studied abroad in Italy--thanks Stevi for helping me with Italian! I also went to a gelateria today and there is an Italian bakery just down the road from my dorm. Who knew that I would get Italian culture here!
2) Even the most sophistacted, well dressed beautiful women have a strange facination with American children products. I have seen the Disney logo and Barbie logo more times than I can count. It always catches me off guard when I see a business woman walking down the street with a "Little Mermaid" purse, rocking the Disney franchise. The few Japanese students I've met so far and have been able to communicate with all asked me how many times I've been to Disneyland/world.
3) I can spot a white person from a mile away. They stick out like a sore thumb. I hate to say it...and I feel like it might be my one racist comment of that day--but it's like I have "white/black/hispanic radar". Living in a country that is SO homogenous definitely makes you notice when someone doesn't fit that mold.
4) My cell phone was free. I knew it would be cheap-but damn. It's flip phone, with a 3 mega-pixle camera, a movie maker, connects to the internet, can send emails and text messages, has a direct connection to FM radio, which I can listen to at anytime, and if you hold it up to another phone they have a little chit chat and all the information is transfered automatically. Gone is the day of "can I have you're number on this bar napkin?" Now all you have to do is touch phones and all the information is transfered automatically. While I do have to pay a monthly fee...I couldn't believe that I got an amazing phone for free. Oh yeah--and it's lime green!
5) The differences in toliets is shocking. I've been here for two days and so far I've encountered a normal (haha...well Western at least) toliet, an amazing toliet that had electically heated seats, different levels of flushes and a built in ass-sprayer, and a hole in the ground. The hole in the ground are unfortunately at the university, so if I ever have to pee at school--which I inevitably will--I must brave the squat and aim method.
On an entirely seperate note...I have really appreciated the emails everyone has sent me. I know that sometimes I can't write back right away...but they have really really meant a lot to me. I'm not gonna front--this is the hardest thing I've ever done and it helps that I can hear from home everyone once in a while. I've been gone for three days and I miss everyone so much. Everyone in Santa Barbara--you are truly amazing people and your unbelievable friendship transcends oceans...I miss you all so much. Mama, Selina, Rachel, Theresa and y'all in Loyalton--I don't see you guys much, but the distance is suddenly VERY prevelent. I love you guys so much--I wish you could all be here with me experiencing this with me. Chris...I love you...wish we didn't have to be so far apart, because everything I see reminds me of just how much I wish you were here.
Ciao from the far reaches of the globe!

2 Comments:
Hey sweetie! All I can say is 'wow'! What an experience you are having. The Japanese are fortunate to have you as their representative 'American'. You put us all in a good light. Theresa and I and the rest of the Loyalton crowd are definitely enjoying the vicarious world traveling experience;and yet, it would be amazing to see what you are seeing and experience what you are experiencing. I will email everyday - as long as I'm within 10 feet of a computer! Love you, Mom
Aiy Heather...
I miss you so much, but I'm glad you're still keeping up with the one-racist-comment-a-day rule...lord knows if we hadn't set that you would be going straight to hell.
*cough* Bigot.
Anywho, I love you and damn do I wish we weren't so far apart for so long...at least every day is one day closer. Hope you're still keepin' it truthful for the East Staines Massive....
Love,
Chris
Post a Comment
<< Home