Reppin' Santa Barbara
I am proud to say that while I by no means can rival the most serious drinkers Santa Barbara has to offer...I can drink all other UC students under the table. Except for my new friend Abby--who grew up in Santa Barbara...so never mind. I had my first karoke bar experience last night. Why do they love the karoke? I find it a very bizzare cultural experience, but once I had a few drinks in me--I was down for the cause. I sang Micheal Jackson's "Billie Jean"...and Abby and I serenaded the group with White Snake's "Hear I Go Again". While I'm not advocating my drinking (I'm still not legal in Japan--drinking age 20...hehe) it was a nice way to end an extremely stressful day. I am very very overwhelmed. We walked around the city yesterday and my Americanism was very present. It didn't help that we were in a giant group of kids--constantly blocking people ways and clearly disrupting their society--but for some reason I felt suprisingly foreign. I knew it would happen and I tried hard to brace myself for it, but nothing could have prepared me for the guy who took a picture of me while I was eating lunch. No subtly or attempt to hide actions...in fact moved in closer so he could get a better shot. Regardless of whether or not I eventually can communicate or find my way around the city with little difficulty...I will never blend in. Ever. I've never in my entire life been so aware of my appearance. It's an experience I can't even put into words...jeez-I knew I wanted this to be challenging...but damn. The city is beautiful...in a stark 1950's sort of way. No beautiful buildings or interesting architecture--but rather suprising efficiency. Everything is steel, tile and cinder blocks. And not a single homeless person. It was the first thing I noticed...and according to our group leader...they don't really exist. I feel like that can't be entirely accurate, but they certainly are not present here. Also--no trash cans. We had all sorts of theories regarding the phenomenon...but apparently it's because the city officials were afraid of a terrorist attack and felt that trash cans would be the best hiding place for a bomb. Thanks 9-11...now I have to carry trash around all day. REAL great.

1 Comments:
Heather-
Let me be the first to say, you are a bad-ass. That whole Jose thing was kick-ass, and the fact that you are in Japan is cool. I miss you though. I don't think we got to hang out as much as we should have. I know you must be having a kick-ass time though. Well, I just wanted to say hi. Say hi to Japan for me!
Josh
Post a Comment
<< Home