Day today--Extremely homesick
So let's recap...
--We went to campus for the first day on Thursday. It was extremely overwhelming and I had a really really hard time dealing with everything that was happening. First of all--there were SO many people it was out of control. A sea of black hair made my height and hair color very very prevelent and so it was hard for me to blend in. Plus--EVERYONE wanted to talk to me. We were all bombarded, but as we were walking my buddy was translating for me and people were yelling, "Blonde hair, blonde hair...she's so cool...Barbie...Barbie...California." I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I've never wanted to be more invisible in my entire life. The language barried was also really intense and I felt so bad and so lame that I couldn't communicate with anyone. I cried when I got home. I'm so lonely, and homesick and I want to hear decent music and eat some damn fruit and not be worried that I can't come to school without showering and in a sweat shirt because I feel like I'm constantly on display. I understand that we're different...but I'm really frustrated because I feel like people only want to talk to me because I'm white...they have no idea if I'm a good person or not...just that I have different hair color and so they make all sorts of assumtions. I swear to god...I tried so hard to prepare myself--knew it would happen--but this is unlike anything I ever could have imagined. It would be better if I spoke even a little bit of Japanese because then I wouldn't feel like such an invader--but as it stands I just feel like a massive, monstrous, freakish (I don't fit in the seats at school--haha...I'm the fat kid from all the movies--I will, inevitably one day break a chair and a hushed horror will echo around the school) white alien. I've never really understood the meaning of that word before. I've been here for four days. Will I last for four months?

2 Comments:
Heatherface . . . I'm sorry you're so homesick and foriegn in Japan, but just know that even in a country where you do look like everyone else (Italy, for example), people will be curious about you because everyone hears so much about America. "Ahh, Santa Barbara! Come il telefilm!" I have such faith that you'll make it another four months. Do yoga under the cherry trees, buy an expensive peice of fruit every week, and we'll all keep sending you letters from home. Because if you don't have fun, I will send Cassie over there to kick your ass into having fun.
Hell yeah...and I'm always in an ass-kickin' mood! Just think though Heather, this is what it would be like if you were a celebrity...The chance will come soon enough to marry Brad Pitt and you will be glad you had this experience to prepare you for the paparazzi.
Post a Comment
<< Home