Friday, April 08, 2005

Tokyo-y-yo-yo!

I've been to Toyko! It was absolutely out of control. I couldn't believe how many people were in the city. Million upon millions of people. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced--even New York wasn't this crazy. We went to Shibuya, which is the busiest intersection in the entire world. There were so many lights and colors and sounds and smells--I loved it! The whole group didn't go, just a few of us, so we were able to be slightly less obtrusive, plus Toyko is such a tourist city that there were far more foreigners and young people...so we didn't feel so out of place. I am continually impressed by Japanese fashion. Women here rock the "hip 80's vibe" like there's no tomorrow. They all look beautiful and well put together and frankly, I feel like five miles of bad road when put next to them. I'm extremely impressed that they ALL wear heels--all the time and most of them wear skirts and bangles and necklaces and make up and...well they just look amazing. We went to a sushi bar and I we got a sampler of dishes to try. The wasabi raw octupus totally kicked my ass--talk about clearing the sinuses--bomb-dizzle. Then we went to a hip-hop club called "Gas Panic" which I lovingly referred to as "gespanic"--yeah--I'm a white idiot. It was funny because they played really bad American hiphop and it clearly was a place for trendy white business men to pick up Asian women--ewe. It was hot and sweaty and loud...but girls got in free and it was happy hour Thursday--so I had a good time. The train ride to Toyko was about thirty minutes...but it was totally worth it. The train was quite an experience--definitely better to not talk to people, as it is clear that the train is place for reflection and sleeping, but I had a good time. I'm glad that I went-because I had been very depressed, so it was nice to get out. I can't even begin to describe the insanity that Toyko contained--and I barely saw 1 one millionth of it.

The cherry blossoms are in bloom. They are unbelieveably breathtaking. They line every street and the petals have started falling so it looks like it is snowing. This...more than anything has been my favorite part of Japan thus far. It's astonishing how much natural beauty is nestled so perfectly amongst the stark efficiency of the city--but it has made my walk to school an unbelieveable experience. Today was a good day. Not great--I miss everyone so much--but it was better.

Okay so here's the DL of the people I've met here. Abby Gunn--the daughter of professor Gunn at UCSB (international studies) is by far the coolest person I've met here. I love hanging out with her...and she's been really supportive in lots of ways. Marie...HUGE pothead from Santa Cruz. Nice...but clearly blazed. Haha--sometimes I just smile and laugh at her. Andy...nice boy who's parents are missionaries in Brazil and he's lived all over the world missionizing people. I'm tempted to ask about the "heathens" of the world...but he's really shy and just a very nice person. Laurie--irritatingly into Japan. Um...yeah there's million other people here-but those are the people that I've spent the most time with so far...which is so silly because I've only been here four days. The group seems pretty chill...nerdy for shizzle--but I'm a nerd too, so we all get along! I miss my Santa Barbara folks more than words can say though. Nothing can compare to Stevi's sharp wit, Jen's quirky lovableness (and good fashion--I see people here and miss her), Eric's...well just Eric (definetly NOONE in Japan like him), Cassie's amazingness...who I miss everyday--I'm so sad that she's not sharing my room with me--I miss her being on top of me:), Dani...whom I miss so much. And Chris--what more can I say that you don't already know...but I miss you more than words can say.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come reading like two sentences that you wrote about me makes me cry...I've held it all in latley because everyone here seems so strong about it. I tried to just pretend it wasn't happening and you would just show up again, but I can't do that anymore. I keep telling Chris, "Chriiiiisss...bring Heather back...I need Heather!" And he just shrugs and looks at me and says he wants the same thing. I read your journal every day and you sound like you are having an amazing experience besides the rocky times. So hang in there, you are a strong American girl! (heehee)
I am going to the farmers market on Sat...So the next piece of fruit I buy will be in honor of you. I loves my Heather!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home